Thursday, January 11, 2018

The Saker — Ivan Ilyin on contemplative love

Introduction by the Saker: Today I am starting a new feature of the Saker Blog – I will regularly publish various texts written by Russian philosophers and Orthodox Church Fathers. My goal here is to open a window, however small, in the real historical, social, political, spiritual, philosophical and cultural roots of what I often refer to as the “Russian civilizational realm”. I am very fortunate to have been contacted by Edvin Buday who has offered his superb translation skills to this blog and who also shares my fascination with this “other” world which is geographically so close to the West but which might as well be located on a different planet. I want to clarify here that this is in no way a substitute to the History of the Orthodox People project, but a complementary feature which, I hope, will present a much more down to earth view of a much misunderstood, and often misrepresented, civilization. Since any text is, by definition, a statement I have decided to include the “Russian civilizational realm series” in the “Speeches, Statements and Interviews” section of the blog.
Ilyin is one of the Russian philosophers that Putin spoke highly of, along with Solovyov and Berdyaev.

The Vineyard of the Saker
Ivan Ilyin on contemplative love
Translated by Edvin Buday

See also

Consortium News
Distorting Putin’s Favorite Philosophers
Paul Grenier

1 comment:

wilwon32 said...

Paul Grenier's article in CN provides very interesting analysis/insights; 'Distorting Putin’s Favorite Philosophers' is an apt title and the Comments enlightening.